Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Broken Hallelujah

"I believe God wants to wreck you."

The words, spoken in a gentle voice, shake me. I understand immediately that 'wrecked' is not being used in a bad way. Not in a way that would leave me more damaged than I already feel. I understand what it isn’t, but I’m not sure I understand what it is.

I am sitting on a small couch in a cozy room. Cream colored walls decorated with peaceful paintings designed to soothe, enhanced by soft lighting and backed by melodic instrumentals mingled with the sounds of water trickling over rocks. I know the ambiance aimed for is working to some degree, for I feel lulled, almost heavy with a longing to sleep. But the part of me that wants, no, NEEDS, to be in control is fighting against sinking deeper into the couch and letting go.

I am a recently divorced, 36 year old mother of two. I come every week to this room to meet with my counselor where I emotionally vomit all the pent up secrets of my past, in hopes that bringing the wrongs into the light will somehow help me put my life back together. So far, I don’t think its working. I leave each week feeling fragile, exposed, raw. I worked so hard in the 10 years of marriage to hide everything. To put on the mask of perfection, to play make believe about our marriage. To say to the world that we were blissfully happy, that my life was charmed and blessed and wonderful. But now, with no reason to lie anymore, the truth can come out. It needs to come out.

So each week, I come and I talk, unpacking a trunk full of ugliness. My counselor helps me sort through the wreckage and prays for me but when the hour is done, the trunk has to be repacked until the next time. I have learned how to place the trunk in a closet for safe keeping until the next session but it’s not been easy. I must admit that the trunk seems less full now. Little by little, each week as we sort, I find more things I can toss. Perhaps good things are happening.

But now, I hear my counselor telling me she believes God wants to wreck me. I came to her already wrecked. After the years of physical abuse, emotional manipulation, and psychological blackmail, I was little more than a shell of a woman, held together by a tenuous thread. But slowly, slowly, the strong-willed child that had been buried under the violence was making a comeback.

When I first started seeing Carolyn, I would sit tightly on the couch, my hands balled up into fists. I didn’t cry. Crying was something I did not do. It was one small thing I had control over. He could beat me, belittle me, shame, or humiliate me, but I had managed to turn off the faucet inside where the tears were stored. One small victory in the face of defeat. So, no tears for me. Instead I just shredded the Kleenex she always provided for me.

I had built a solid wall around my heart in the years I was married. A wall to protect myself, to keep some small part of me sane in the midst of the insanity we lived in. It was my only protection but now, living in a safe place, surrounded with a good, healthy support team of family and friends, Carolyn was trying to get me to see that the wall wasn’t needed anymore. It would be OK to let the wall down so others could get close. So that God could get close.

I wasn’t so sure. It felt very risky. Yet I longed to feel love and give love in return and I knew that as long as I kept that wall around me, relationships in my life would remain superficial at best. I had had enough of superficial living. I wanted, needed, authenticity in my life. I was tired of lies and pretending everything was fine. I wanted to live and live fully.

I knew God loved me. I had asked Jesus into my heart when I was a little girl. I had wandered away from the teachings of my youth however when I reached my teen years. I had decided sneaking out and dating boys my parents didn’t approve us was much more fun than going to bible studies. Still, the biblical truths I had been raised on and the knowledge that God was there for me held me together in my darkest hours. When I cowered in fear as my husband raged over me, when I hid in the closet to escape a beating, when I lay on my back, choking back screams as he raped me, what was going through my mind but cries to God. I prayed. Oh, how I prayed. I prayed for the abuse to stop. I prayed for a miracle to occur. I prayed for escape. I prayed for someone to discover the truth of my life and rescue me.

There were times when I felt I was crying out to no one. I never stopped believing in God. I just thought I got myself into this mess and eventually it would be up to me to get myself out of it. And I did. I somehow managed, with all the courage I possessed, to leave.

And now, here I am, week after week, working hard to rebuild my life, regain my self esteem,and renew my faith in mankind.

Carolyn smiles as she pushes the Kleenex box closer to me. I take one out of the box and return the smile. We both know it will end up shredded but she keeps hoping. She believes eventually the faucet will be turned back on and that it will be a good thing. A healing thing. I’m not sure but if anything has happened over the past several months, it’s coming to know I can trust Carolyn and I am starting to trust myself.

A part of me would like to cry. I know I don’t need this tool anymore. For a long time having that one small thing I could control was a lifeline. As long as there was one thing I had control over, it meant I hadn’t completely disappeared. But I’m tired. Tired of holding everything back. I do want to feel. Survival in the past meant not feeling. But I want to know how to laugh—deep belly laughs that go on till I’m breathless. I want to know how to play again—without fear of consequence. And most of all, I want to know love. Love as it was meant to be. Pure. Respectful. Free.

“I believe God wants to wreck you.” Carolyn says and I nod.

I sense this means being rendered helpless before God, on my face, desperate for His Presence. I sense it means wrecked as in breaking down any and all walls that stand between me and The Creator of the Universe. I sense there are things I need to confess, choices I made that I need to own. That until I allow surrender to take place, full healing will not. I understand what God wants is a broken spirit. That like David in the book of Psalms discovered, God will not reject a broken and repentant heart. (Psalm 51.17)

The chorus from one of my favorite songs starts playing in my head.

"We pour out our miseries,
God just hears a melody,
Beautiful, the mess we are,
The honest cries of breaking hearts,
Are better than a Hallelujah,
Better than a Hallelujah, sometimes."*

I nod again and Carolyn places a loving hand on my bowed head. She begins to pray over me and suddenly I am overwhelmed with exhaustion. I wonder what would happen if I took the risk and let go. She prays some more and I am overwhelmed with an ache that threatens to split me wide open. A gasp escapes. And another.

And, I let go.

 I let go and as I do I feel a crack in the wall. I let go and I feel the wall begin to crumble. I let go and something rises up deep inside me. I can’t hold it back. I don’t want to hold it back. I let go of everything. Everything that is still in the trunk. All the emotions that have been stuffed away, all the hurts and fear, the hatred, the self loathing, the disgust-- it all comes rushing out. A tidal wave, a tsunami of emotions that have been locked away all this time. Carried on a wave of tears.

For I am crying. After all this time, I am crying. I am on the floor, on my face, desperate for God.

And then I fully, completely, understand “wrecked.”  




*
Better than a Hallelujah" ~ Amy Grant. Lyrics by Chapin Hartford & Sarah Hart

**based on a true story. 

2 comments:

  1. I had a "Carolyn" myself. It's amazing the complete remodeling the Great Designer does on our lives after He's able to take down all the walls to create a better "flow" and totally renovates our interior soul. This really reminded me of the process I walked through as well. I could feel it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sappi60. Writing this stirred up a lot of emotions in me as well. In a good way. In a GOD way. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to visit. I welcome constructive critiques on my writing.