Saturday, September 22, 2012

In Denial


I love reading Jan Ackerson's blog  One Hundred Words. I have tried a few times to do as she does, capture a character in 100 words, to suggest in just a few sentences,an entire plot. It's a challenge to be sure. But a fun one!  

The following is based on a true experience (not mine). One thing I have learned as a survivor: when such things are brought into the light, it loses it's power. Here's to breaking the bond of silence and letting the truth be told in order to be set free! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


google images

When Nellie was 14, and you didn’t talk about such things, she was raped. Once Nellie's mother realized Nellie was pregnant, she whisked her away to a home for girls in such condition. 

When the baby was born, Nellie turned her face away. She returned home, her mother firmly stating, it didn't happen

Her father long dead, today, Nellie greets people following her mother's memorial. At 64, silver hair neatly coiffed, Nellie looks regal, strong, unflappable. But for those paying attention, Nellie is heard to repeatedly murmur, "My father raped me when I was a girl. My father raped me." 



1 comment:

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to visit. I welcome constructive critiques on my writing.