Tuesday, October 9, 2012

God's Plan



“The bank called today. They'll start foreclosure proceedings this week.”

Despite the knowledge this day had been coming, my stomach twisted. I stared at my husband, wordlessly.
Unemployment—weeks that had stretched into months had slowly taken away even some of our most basic needs. We'd gotten by with help from family and friends, limping along, just barely. Gift baskets of food had kept us fed; a twenty dollar bill stuffed into my hand had allowed us gas in the car for another week. We counted ourselves blessed despite the poverty that consumed us, because we knew God was in control.

Then—a break though! My husband landed a good job and was bringing home regular paychecks. But the months of unpaid bills would continue to plague us, for some things couldn't be paid back fast enough to satisfy our creditors. Already slapped with a judgment from a collection agency, we now faced the loss of our home.  

Clasping hands, my husband and I cried out our frustrations and fears in tenacious prayers. We claimed the promise of Jeremiah 29.11 for the thousandth time. “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 

With faith that only comes from trials, we resolutely surrendered all those fears. “ Lord, whatever happens, we trust you. If losing our house is part of your greater plan for our lives, we will accept this. It hurts, but we'll accept it.”

We were both filled with a sense of peace even as we cried together. It’s as if God was saying, “ I've got this. Don't worry. Let it go.”

The day the foreclosure proceedings were to be filed, I crept through it, committed to trusting our Jehovah Jirah. At a quarter to 3 my husband called. He'd been in contact with our pastor through all of this, and now had a miracle to share. Our church family had banded together to raise the funds needed to satisfy the bank! We'd be able to wire the money by the end of the day.

Overwhelming shock, relief, and gratitude rendered us both at a loss for words. Yet, is this not our God at work? Did we not surrender it all at His feet and trust Him to take care of it? God had a plan for our lives. He has one for you too. 




today's piece also appears in Christian Devotions, an online  service providing daily devotionals through email!  
You can subscribe to their service to receive your daily dose of encouragement. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to visit. I welcome constructive critiques on my writing.